Gynecomastia surgery also referred to as man boobs is a common condition that causes the boys and man breast to swollen up and become abnormally enlarge like in females.
It is most common in teenage groups and older persons. This condition can affect both or single breasts.
Gynecomastia (sometimes referred to as “ man boobs” is a common condition that causes boy’s and men’s breasts to swell and become larger than normal.
Gynecomastia is characterized by:
- Excess localized fat
- Excess glandular tissue development
- Sometimes excess breast skin
- Presence unilaterally (one breast) or bilaterally (both breasts)
A cosmetic surgery procedure flattened the male chest. It is done to remove excess fats and glandular tissue from the breasts.
Gynecomastia surgery or man boobs surgery reduces breast size in men, flattening and enhancing the chest contours.
In severe cases of gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause the breasts to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). In these cases, the position and size of the areola can be surgically improved and excess skin may be reduced.
Gynecomastia surgery or Plastic surgery to correct gynecomastia is technically called reduction mammaplasty.
Classification based on the severity
Gynecomastia can be classified on the basis of severity as:
Grade I: Minor enlargement with no skin excess.
Grade II: Moderate enlargement with no skin excess.
Grade III: Moderate enlargement with skin excess
When to consider gynecomastia treatment?
- If you are reluctant to remove your shirt in public, to swim, to participate in sports or to exercise at a gym.
- If you want to improve your overall body proportions.
- If you experience psychological discomfort associated with “man boobs” or large breasts.
- If you want to increase your social confidence.
Am I a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery?
Many young men start to develop gynecomastia during their teenage years. While adolescents may benefit from the surgery, in most cases involving young men, the issue is resolved by the time of adulthood.
The ideal candidates for gynecomastia surgery are men who are experiencing extreme discomforts such as chafing or rubbing of the skin, suffer from a lack of confidence, and men who have tried less invasive methods and failed.
Good candidates for gynecomastia surgery are men unable to improve the appearance of their breasts with exercise, dieting, or alternative medical treatments. Men seeking male breast reduction should be in overall good health and not have any medical conditions that could cause complications. Patients should have realistic expectations and a positive outlook on the possibilities and limitations of gynecomastia surgery.
What are the causes of gynecomastia?
A lot of things can trigger the hormone imbalance that causes male breast growth, and many times the exact cause isn’t known.
In addition to body changes such as puberty and aging,
some things that can cause gynecomastia are:
- Injury or diseases that affect the testicles, which make testosterone, e.g testicular tumor
- Thyroid issues, since hormones from that gland control growth and sexual development
- Some cancers, including tumors of the lungs, pituitary gland, or adrenal glands
- Obesity, which can result in more estrogen
- Heroin and marijuana use.
- Kidney failure.
- Liver failure results from an imbalance in the hormonal environment in the body, with a relative excess estrogen (female hormones) when compared to androgens (male hormones).
- The causes of the gynecomastia can result as a side effect of numerous medications and drugs of abuse, for example.
- Corticosteroids and anabolic steroids
- Antifungal drugs
- Some antacids
- Anti-anxiety medications
- Estrogen containing drugs.
Gynecomastia Surgery / Male breast reduction surgery?
Can gynecomastia go away with exercise?
For men with true glandular gynecomastia, exercise alone is not likely to be effective. In some cases, altering your medications or addressing hormonal imbalances may result in an improvement, while other patients may require surgical intervention to correct their gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia surgery/ How is gynecomastia treatment surgery performed?
The goal of gynecomastia surgery is to restore a normal male breast contour and to correct deformities of the breast, nipple, or areola. Surgical options include
- Excision (surgical removal of tissue)
- or a combination of both approaches.
Glandular breast tissue is denser than fatty tissue and is not appropriate for liposuction.
- The choice of surgical technique depends on the likelihood of skin redundancy after surgery. Skin shrinkage is greater in younger than older patients.
- In gynecomastia surgery ,the most common approach is the intra-areolar incision, or Webster incision, which extends along the circumference of the bottom half of the areola in the pigmented portion.
- The length of your incision will be based on your anatomy.
- In severe gynecomastia, skin resection (surgical removal of part of an organ or structure) and moving the nipple (nipple transposition) may be necessary.
- Minimally invasive gynecomastia surgical procedures have gained popularity. In the “pull-through technique,” a very small incision (approximately 5 mm) is made at the areolar edge. Following liposuction, the glandular tissue from the overlying areola is pulled through the incision.
- The major advantage of this procedure is the smaller incision. This technique is used in well-selected patients.
- Ultrasonic liposuction
It has improved the results of gynecomastia correction. In liposuction-assisted breast reduction, there is less compromise of blood supply, nipple distortion, and areola slough. In addition, postoperative complications are fewer with this technique than with open surgical resection; in gynecomastia surgery, liposuction-assisted breast reduction is not effective for correcting glandular gynecomastia. The fatty and glandular components of your breast must be assessed before surgery. Few patients can be sufficiently treated with liposuction only.
Liposuction Chest wall
Liposuction is done to remove the fatty content of gynecomastia or male breast. In order to improve the contour of the chest, liposuction of the lateral chest or liposuction sides of the chest is done to shape the male chest.
Consultation before gynecomastia surgery?
In order to get the best results, it is better to get a gynecomastia consultation before surgery. Your doctor will take a detailed history of the cause of gynecomastia and drugs history. It’s better to stop or remove the primary cause before gynecomastia surgery.
It should be noted that breast enlargement in males is also idiopathic which means it can be of without cause.
Before gynecomastia surgery, you can get an appointment by calling or WhatsApp to the following number.
Choosing A Qualified Cosmetic Surgeon/ Gynecomastia surgeon :
Male breast reduction is one of the more straightforward cosmetic surgery procedures, but excellent results require a skilled approach that can only come from specialized training and experience. You need to vet potential doctors carefully to find a cosmetic surgeon who can perform the procedure safely and achieve the results you desire.
Important key factors are
- Board certified plastic surgeon
How much time is required for gynecomastia surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery typically takes one to two hours to complete, though this may be extended if you have chosen combination procedures or your surgery is more complicated than is typical.
The entire surgical experience (check-in, sedation, surgery, recovery) is typically under 2 hours. The patient takes an oral sedative prior to the surgery to ensure he is fully relaxed and comfortable.
Does Hospital stay after gynecomastia?
One can easily go back home on the same day of surgery. You will be shifted to the recovery room after surgery. Once you get stable vitally and fully conscious. You will be allowed to go home along with your caretaker.
Post-operative care after gynecomastia surgery?
After gynecomastia surgery, dressing and bandage will be applied around incisions and an elastic bandage or chest binder will be applied around the chest to minimize the post-op swelling and edema.
Chest binder will help contour the chest to its normal shape after surgery during the recovery period.
You will be given specific instructions that may include how to care for the surgical site, medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the potential for infection, specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health, and when to follow up with your plastic surgeon.
- Bed rest for 2 days
- Take oral antibiotic and pain killers for 7 days
- 1st follow up after 5 days to remove bandage
- Keep chest binder for at least 6 weeks
- After gynecomastia surgery, apply polyfax over incision site for 5 days after removal of bandage.
- You can join your desk job after 3 days.
- You can start walk after a week
- You can start exercise after a month.
Gynecomastia Surgery Recovery?
In patients who only need liposuction to correct their enlarged male breasts, return to exercise and work is typically less than one week. For patients who need surgical removal of the excess breast tissue, it can take between two to four weeks to heal enough to tolerate routine activities. Male breast reduction recovery time or recovery from gynecomastia surgery is around four weeks. In my practice, my patients are able to go back to work after surgery at 7-10 days. They are able to get back to the gym for cardio at 2 weeks and weightlifting at 4 weeks barring complications from surgery.
After your procedure, bandages or compression garments will be placed on the treated area to reduce swelling, bruising, and irritation that will develop in the following days.
After a week of gynecomastia surgery, most patients can return to work. However, it may be several weeks before your plastic surgeon recommends that you resume strenuous or intense physical activities. Each body heals at a unique pace, and your plastic surgeon will give you instructions for your recovery process based on your physical needs.
Gynecomastia surgery cost in Pakistan:
Gynecomastia treatment cost in Pakistan varies in different centers and cities within Pakistan.
Man boobs surgery cost depends upon some factors which include.
- Grade of gynecomastia
- Type of anesthesia
- Treatment option
In most cases, male breast reduction surgery, or man boobs surgery is not eligible for insurance coverage. However, each insurance policy varies greatly. Carefully review your policy to determine coverage. So, gynecomastia surgery cost insurance varies with the surgeon’s fee, will be based on his or her experience, the type of procedure used, and the geographic office location.
Most health insurance plans do not cover male breast reduction or its complications, but many plastic surgeons offer patient financing plans, so be sure to ask.
Gynecomastia surgery side effects
The complications of gynecomastia surgery may b;
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Blood clots
- Breast asymmetry
- Breast contour and shape irregularities
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation may be temporary or permanent
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Persistent pain
- Poor wound healing
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Reactions to tape, suture materials, glues, topical preparations or injected agents
- Gynecomastia surgery scars
Gynecomastia surgery before and after:
Results of gynecomastia surgery, before and after gynecomastia surgery picture are for the educational purpose of clients. Picture of before and after gynecomastia surgery are attached after taken consent from patients.
Male breast enlargement treatment pills:
Man boobs surgery or male breast reduction surgery is considered the standard treatment of gynecomastia. However some oral treatments one can try.
Clomiphene can be used to treat gynecomastia. It can be taken for up to 6 months. The selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) tamoxifen has been shown to reduce breast volume in gynecomastia, but it was not able to entirely eliminate all of the breast tissue.
Gynecomastia surgery Consultation and Appointment:
The initial step in the gynecomastia procedure is a detailed consultation. The surgeon will inform the patient about the procedure, discuss the associated risks and complications, and explain the preparation steps necessary for the pre and post-surgical stages.
On top of this, they will also discuss the anesthesia type to be used, the type of surgical venue, and the approximate costs of the procedure.
The primary objective of the surgeon will be to evaluate the patient as a candidate for male breast reduction surgery and enable him to make an enlightened decision. A successful gynecomastia procedure depends on an effective consultation process.
You can consult and get an appointment through WhatsApp 0317- 8325003